Re: [school-discuss] FOSS Professional development courses for teachers

JTD wrote:
We really need hardware in Cambodia... if any of you have ideas on how to help us get donated computers then please do email me individually..

I did a quick look at Wikipedia for companies in Cambodia and there's several notable banks, airlines, and telecom companies:

ACLEDA Bank
ANZ Royal Bank
Canadia Bank
Angkor Airways
Cambodia Airlines
Kampuchea Airlines
PMTair 	Airline
President Airlines
Royal Khmer Airlines
Royal Phnom Penh Airways
Siem Reap Airways
Telecom Cambodia

Most of these organizations likely use thin clients, with the possible exception of Telecom Cambodia. I'm thinking you could approach Telecom Cambodia to get some donated desktop PCs you could use as servers, and then approach the banks and airlines to get thin clients to connect to them. Since many companies have to pay to have old PCs hauled away, if you can get volunteers to go get the hardware, it saves them money, and here in the US they can get tax benefits for donating hardware to schools.

I put out a call for companies to do this when we first started at Brandon, and the response was amazing. Let me know if you'd like copies of some the letters I sent asking for donations of hardware.

Don't know the political climate, but companies in neighboring Vietnam and Thailand may also be suitable targets for donated hardware (don't laugh, I've never been to southeast asia...)

Best,
Daniel

--
Daniel Howard