Re: [school-discuss] need help with custom Linux installation CD or DVD

On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 4:20 PM, Damiano Verzulli <damiano@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That's _NOT_ what I was suggesting, nor what apt-mirror is for.

Thanks for the clarification.  Doesn't sound like it's what I'm
looking for at the moment.  Sounds useful for other situations.

>> I feel like I have more
>> control over the packages that get installed (especially the
>> dependencies).
>
> Uhm... I think it's not going to work this way. Package manager shoud be
> "trusted" by default. So if a package manager say: "I need to install
> dependency X", you need to accept such a decision as there are _VERY_GOOD_
> reasons for such a requiements. And unless you're a
> debian-official-developer/maintainer... I think it will be "hard" to
> understand such a requirement, as it has been the original developer that,
> while "packaging" his own application, decided which other packages are
> required by "his" application.

I guess it would depend on your skill levels and how well you know the
packages you're installing.  I'm very familiar with the packages I use
and have built almost all of them from scratch.  In my experience,
I've done much better at working out package dependencies than the
package manager which I've often had issues with.  There can be quite
a lot of leeway with some packages (depending on how they're compiled)
as to which dependencies they may require.  Sometimes they'll pull in
dependencies even the developer didn't originally expect. I often
substitute pkgconf for pkg-config and a lighter BSD licensed version
of gettext/libintl for the GNU gettext/libintl.  As long as the ABIs
are compatible, there are no issues.

> Let me put in another way: you are free to handle file copies out of the
> package-manager (obviously!) but... chances are high that you'll "brake"
> your system or, better, you simply won't be able to run the application you
> might need.

I jump through hoops just to make sure I'm using the package manager.
It's easier to uninstall software with one.  However, in my personal
experience, I've broken the system using the package manager more than
once.  Have never broken the system when I don't use it.  I'm also
very comfortable using Slackware which lets you handle your own
dependency management and just offers the basics in package management
tools (install/uninstall).

I guess your experiences with packages and package management tools
are very different from mine.  Hopefully we can just agree to
disagree.  I typically find a package manager a hindrance.  I do a
better job of tracking the dependencies I need than a program does for
me.  I make a lot of my own builds from scratch using the source.
###