Re: [school-discuss] Korea brings homegrown open source to schools

Phil Carinhas wrote:

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 11:43:21AM -0600, Alec Couros wrote:

I am not talking about MOST cases ... note this is about South Korea, where it HAS been mandated, and my original concern is that is IS being mandated.

It isn NOT mandated. Its part of a project they are rolling out.
I see nothing the article that indicates a global mandate. Every project needs to have a platform.

If you had bothered to read the article, you'd see that the system was
designed to keep track of student records. It certainly does not
appear to be any type of teaching platform.

Actually I read the article well and information on the S.K. gov website, and related articles. I've done a lot of research on this, actually. In the article you are reading, you see a CNet synopsis, not a comprehensive document.

It's not a"teaching platform" per se, but most schools in North America don't have a specific "teaching platform" either. These are the tools given to the teachers ... whatever desktop distro you have, related software, etc. Sure, not a "teaching platform" but the tools which teachers have to use.

Anyways ... my point obviously was not well-taken by some of you as all OSS must have to be innately GOOD news I suppose. I'll try not to raise such obvious critiques in this forum.