Re: [school-discuss] Re: Korea brings homegrown open source to schools

On Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 11:57:17PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> More likely useful would be the festival package, which handles vocoding
> directly, and can translate arbitrary text to speach on standard HW w/
> soundcard.

KDE's "ktts" (KDE Text-To-Speech) system is a handy interface into speakers
such as Festival.

I use it -- kttsd daemon, together with the kttsmgr GUI manager that also
lives as a small icon in my panel's systray -- to have my Linux box read
long news articles and interviews, while I'm busy doing other things
(either skimming through email, or simply up and away from the computer,
tidying up the house, for example).

I've not looked much at how easy the whole interface is to access from
an accessibility point of view, but that's really the whole /purpose/ of
the system, and so I imagine if it's not perfect now, it'll improve as time
goes on.

(I think at this point, KDE makes no claims to be 100% accessible
for blind users, but that's one of their goals, I believe.)

bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx       Sunnyvale Baylands Park, Sunday, August 14th