Re: [school-discuss] Project suggestions for 10-12 y.o. kids?

Karsten M. Self wrote:
As someone who's worked largely in tech for the past decade (though some
say I _was_ a kid once myself), I'm now faced with the prospect of
creating an activity for a computer lab (~10 systems) for an equal
number of 10-12 y.o. kids.
We do a summer camp for kids in this age group see (http://webvana.mcm.edu/). We find many of them really enjoy multimedia and web page design.

Since you want crossplatform I'd suggest planning some work with Open Office (particularly Impress), the Gimp, and for web page design maybe Open Office, Mozilla Composer or NVU (http://www.nvu.com/).

For programming you might look at Squeak (http://www.squeak.org/) or possibly BlueJ for Java. IBM's robocode (http://robocode.alphaworks.ibm.com/home/home.html) might be a fun intro to Java programming.

A room full of 10-12 year olds can be quite active :)
--
Dr. Robert G. Rittenhouse, Chair
Department of Computer Science