Re: [school-discuss] Project suggestions for 10-12 y.o. kids?

on Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:04:49PM -0600, Dr. Robert G. Rittenhouse (rob@cs1.mcm.edu) wrote:
> Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >As someone who's worked largely in tech for the past decade (though some
> >say I _was_ a kid once myself), I'm now faced with the prospect of
> >creating an activity for a computer lab (~10 systems) for an equal
> >number of 10-12 y.o. kids.
>
> We do a summer camp for kids in this age group see
> (http://webvana.mcm.edu/). We find many of them really enjoy multimedia
> and web page design.

This is something of a first-time "get aquainted" activity, so I'm
looking for something that's completable w/in an hour or two.

> Since you want crossplatform I'd suggest planning some work with Open
> Office (particularly Impress), the Gimp, and for web page design maybe
> Open Office, Mozilla Composer or NVU (http://www.nvu.com/).

I plan on this, but for the first session, I'll stick to what's
available.

> For programming you might look at Squeak (http://www.squeak.org/) or
> possibly BlueJ for Java. IBM's robocode
> (http://robocode.alphaworks.ibm.com/home/home.html) might be a fun intro
> to Java programming.

Good recommendations -- I've seen some neat squeak stuff.

> A room full of 10-12 year olds can be quite active :)

Likewise a pool of same, which was my prior experience.  Looking forward
to getting back in the water, so to speak.

Peace.

    Let sleeping dogs lie.