Re: [school-discuss] FW: OpenOffice in education

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 18:38, ian wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 15:40, Tom Adelstein wrote:
> >
> > ian.lynch2@ntlworld.com wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > > >
> > > I'm not trying to, I'm genuinely curious because AFAIK. Apart from some
> > > proprietary filters such as for WP, some clip art and templates, OO.o
> > > 1.1 and SO7 are identical code subject to the same QA procedures. It is
> > > possible that releases have some different defaults eg I found some
> > > problems with 3D rendering due to the OpenGL defaults that might or
> > > might not have happened with different default settings.I'll ask and
> > > find out as I would be interested to know if there are fundamental QA
> > > differences. In fact OO.o 1.1.1 is being released and this probably
> > > fixes bugs that will not be fixed in SO 7.0
> > >

> > I'm very surprised at this response.  A world of difference exists
> > between Star Office 7 and OOo and it's very obvious.  I see no reason
> > to complain about OOo in any way.
>
> I'm only interested in accuracy. I have asked the question on a
> discussion list that will know. In principle Sun could do separate
> development work on SO and not on OO.o but all the information I have
> had to this point suggests that is not how things are currently done,
> but I have never asked the specific question. So let's know the facts
> from the people that manage the project.
>
> >   However, given the choice, users in my office will run SO7 from an X
> > server over native installs of OOo on their workstations. Why is
> > that?  From what I can see it's the finishing touches especially
> > overall screen rendering. OOo comes off fuzzy enough to notice and SO7
> > comes off clear as a bell, bright and finished.
>
> That's strange because I have OO.o 1.1 running here on Linux and Windows
> XP and neither appear fuzzy to me. When you say fuzzy do you mean font
> rendering, graphics or something else?

The reported difference between SO7 and OO.o may be due to differences
in font installation. It may be that the installer for SO7 makes sure it
installs a nice set of fonts, which are included and are not open
source. This would result in a nicer look than a default OO.o install.
Here at Hypercube Systems, we have installed a set of extra fonts for
OO.o and these look very spiffy. If there are fonts on the system that
are blocky, then they can be used by OO.o, but it can't get round the
blockyness. Times is one in point - won't anti alias, whereas Times New
Roman does.

Seb James
--
Managing Director,   Educational Systems,  Hypercube Systems Ltd
         Providing Open Source ICT solutions for schools.