Re: [school-discuss] Passwords for kids?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Sort of an oddball question, but...

I'm working in a youth center with a ten-system computer lab, 80+ kids
using it so far, Samba domain.

Kids are anywhere from 6 to 18.

_Most_ of them can deal with passwords. A few can't spell their own
names (and most of 'em could use better typing skillz -- not to mention
a far more discriminating taste in music....).

But for a fair number of 'em, particulary the younger set, and a few
others with learning disabilities, remembering passwords seems to be
beyond the possible. Anyone have experience with setting up accounts
for kids?

Primary login is WinXP. Even here, the three-field login (username,
pass, logon target (workstation/domain) is confusing.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
"Yes," said Marvin. "Why stop now just when I'm hating it?"

Windows XP allows for a userlogon of a graphic, and there is no requirement
for a password.

One can take pics of the kids, or just use a set of ~100 or images to get the
kids atention. the users can enable a password if they need one, just maintain a
secure administrator account.

Just set up users for fast logon and enable the switching.

As far as samba, can't you just make it share globally, and not require a login?
I assume with a closed system it should work,

Bill Ries-Knight *** Stockton, CA.

Please donate blood.
You will be glad someone else did when you need it.

My views on spam and SCO
http://www.ries-knight.net/index.html

report spam to : uce@ftc.gov