Re: [school-discuss] [Fwd: moving from Windows 2000 -> linux]

For the die hard Microsoft fans you might download the trial version of CrossOver Office at www.codeweavers.com as part of your demo. We are also switching to Linux as terminals using SafeDesk software (at www.safedesksolutions.com). We will also install CrossOver Office so that we can still run Microsoft Office. However we hope that Open Office will be the Office suite of choice for students. We will also provide a CD available to students and staff of Open Source software they may use at home.

Hans Paijmans wrote:

Doug Loss wrote:

I'm forwarding this in the hope that we can collectively provide Marc
with some help.

Hello,

My name is Marc Jackson.  I'm the systems admin at Ravenswood City School
Distirct.  I've proposed moving the school district from Microsoft to
Linux.
I have to do a proof of concept.

Specifically, I need to run a lab with linux terminal services and provide
the following services in the lab:

A typing program.
A MS program, preferably Visio.
Authentication to a MS product/Active Directory.
Curriculum software which supports Literacy as it's main objective.

Any help/ideas in this endeavor would be greatly appreciated.

I feel that the best bet is to include Win4Lin in the demonstration. No, it is not free, but as a fall-back for programs that really, really need Windows, it is perfect. Essentially it runs win98 in a X window. Stay away from Wine and all programs that are based on Wine. I am certain that Wine is a great achievement, but you don't want to crash your computer when the bosses are looking.

No, I have no other relations with Netraverse than those of a very
satisfied customer.

--
Al Dow
Cameron R-1 School District