Re: [school-discuss] seeking ideas for policy recommendation on ICT-education

Have you looked at Universal Design for Learning (http://www.udlcenter.org/aboutudl/udlguidelines)?

They've been working on how to bring kids from the margins (mainly those with print disabilities and special needs) and frameworks that includes ALL students.  They're advocating to scrap the current educational curriculum in the vast majority of schools, which is based on print, and make the curricula fit the child rather than making the child fit the curricula (which is the present system).

UDL's website is not user-friendly, but there's a lot of research based on neuroscience and other fields to back up their frameworks.  It's taking a more practical approach to Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences with digital technology.

Their online book, Teaching Every Child in the Digital Age: Universal Design for Learning, is a little better at explaining the need for changing the educational paradigm and their frameworks (http://www.cast.org/teachingeverystudent/ideas/tes/).

Their online article, "The Future is in the Margins: The role of technology and disability in educational reform" is little better at addressing the need for changing the educational reform as well (http://udlonline.cast.org/resources/images/future_in_margins.pdf).

As for inclusion beyond the school - Common Sense Media (http://www.commonsensemedia.org/educators/curriculum) and Cybersmart (http://cybersmartcurriculum.org/digitalcitizenship/) have lessons/curriculums for teachers, students, and parents on [global] digital literacy skills and citizenship.  The UN, Oxfam, and other non-profit organizations have lessons too (http://www.livebinders.com/play/play_or_edit?id=311349).  These organizations are fostering the need for children to be safe, responsible, ethical, legal, global digital citizens, including being part of a wider physical and virtual world.

Australia national curriculum v3.0 has ICT standards that are more open-ended and far-ranging.  I've got the links for those standards in the comments section of an article I posted on (http://opensource.com/education/12/3/australia-leading-global-digital-open-education-revolution).  Here you'll find some of those issues involving hardware/software, privacy, maintenance, policy, etc.

Carolyn