Re: [school-discuss] Hello - OSS in government

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 08:27:37PM -0700, Chris Walker wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm very happy to have found this type of resource.

Welcome and good luck! :^)

I'm kind of a side-liner when it comes to OSS in gov't and schools
(though I've written some OSS which is being used in schools, and
I encourage it when and where I can... being a relative outsider).

The Linux User Group I co-founded recently attended a public hearing
for California Performance Review, which included an Open Source
recommendation which was apparently being lobbied against at some hearings.

If you're anywhere near the California Bay Area or Sacramento region,
we've actually got some of the people involved in the recommendation (I think
they were, at least!) to one of our meetings:

  Tuesday, December 7, 2004
  Bill Fell, Harry Ng and Allen Lung, Air Resources Board and
  Franchise Tax Board - Implementation of Open Source at ARB and FTB

    http://www.lugod.org/meeting/upcoming/#2004.12.07

If you're also looking for random reasons to avoid using Microsoft, and/or
examples of OSS being used (or at least considered) by various gov't agencies
around the world, I maintain a far-from-comprehensive list of links to
(and quotes from) news articles:

  http://www.lugod.org/microsoft/

Good luck and enjoy!

-bill!