Re: [school-discuss] TAET Fall Convention

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 09:15, Lloyd Curtis wrote:
> Marilyn,
>
> You may have thought of this approach but perhaps not. I'm currently
> working in distance ed. One of the projects I am currently advocating
> for inclusion into the courses I co-teach is a companion CD sent to all
> students at the beginning of the course that includes Mozilla,
> OpenOffice, GIMP, and AbiWord. The basis for the argument is that by
> doing so I can be sure all students in online courses have equal access
> to modern software, unifrom file formats and platform independency (well
> at least somewhat). Since I will have to supply compressed video, large
> files, etc.. via CD anyway, it only makes sense. This way I avoid the
> inevitable complaints about inability to afford the software, odd
> formats such as "MS Works", and having to handhold students on  basic
> office software that may be dated or that I might not know well myself.

At some point, you may want to expand this using a custom Knoppix cd.
It would give you a very good idea of their hardware abilities, as well
as give eveyone the same software to work with, etc.

			Harry

> Lloyd Curtis
> lcurtis@runner.csub.edu

Harry McGregor, CEO, Co-Founder
Hmcgregor@osef.org, (520) 661-7875 (CELL)
Open Source Education Foundation, http://www.osef.org
A non-profit tax exempt charitable organization