Re: [school-discuss] StarOffice in Edu.

On today's wire.
Sun To Unveil Linux-Based Applications
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nf/20020918/bs_nf/19436

"For example, in an effort to promote its StarOffice
software in the education market, Sun recently
announced plans to donate the program to schools
around the world. The software suite's user interface
is similar to that of Microsoft Office applications."

Sun promotes through donation when they should be
attending the conferences, co-writing case studies,
and placing ads and articles in the k-12 and higher ed
magazines.  Call me skeptical, but I have a feeling
their software donation is going to be laying around
unused in a classroom cubby hole.  Donation without
teacher and administrator professional development, is
a waste of $$$$.
Anna

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2002-09-17-009-26-NW-SW-PB