[school-discuss] Why is thin client hardware so expensive?

With the $100 lap top underway, I can't help but think that $25-$50 (less monitor) fan-less thin client ought to be possible. Perhaps not profitable, but with enough buy-in, might not a not-for-profit producer be a solution?

I realize that used low-end PCs can be had for as little as $25-to-free. But it sure seems like fan-less, small footprint systems would be worth some effort to make available.