Re: [school-discuss] Linux LiveCD Distribution

Chris Topher wrote:
> Uno,
>
> We have been given bandwidth and hardware to serve the media, and we
> hope to have it operational soon. I plan to release a bittorrent
> immediately.  If you are interested in a copy right away, send your
> hardware profile to DarwinX86@xxxxxxxxx
>
> for those who do not have the bandwidth to download, we will make a few
> hundred copies and mail them out as requested. If you need a hard copy,
> include a shipping address with your hardware profile, but please, only
> if you absolutely need it.
>
> Hardware profile info wanted:
>
> Brand Computer
> CPU Model  Intel / AMD / PowerPC / Sparc
> GPU Model  ATI / Nvidia / Intel GM / Other
> Hard drive capacity
> Amount of System Ram
> Number and Type of optical drives
> Bios hotkey that takes you to the boot menu on startup (usually esc or
> F12 allows you to choose boot disk)
> Can you boot from USB drive? yes/no
>
> Also, please tell us a little bit about what you hope to do with it.

Some questions,

I presume after sending in the information you ask for one would get the
mentioned liveCD image including the full source code, it is GPL
software right?

Why the need for a hardware profile?  Could you not use some of the
hardware detection from an existing liveCD from Knoppix or Ubuntu to
take care of that?

Thanks,

- cameron