Re: Windoze->SEUL migrations

jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

> > <snip> If they have
> > no vital data it's nothing for them to re-install Windows and their software.

Wrong ... i got a new and better sound card a month ago and sold it.
Why ?
To avoid the pain of reinstalling Sound drivers on 5 Different GUIs.
Reinstalling Windows 95 is a major pain by comparison and not everyone
will
be able to do it.  I know several very popular Packard Bell and Aptiva
models do not have a Windows 95 install disk.  Some have the cab files
only in sub directory of 'C:\Windows'.  From past experience SEUL will
be
an option for these people more than the rest of us.  Why ?  They
already
don't like the way the PC dose things ... but they do not want to risk
loosing 'Mortal Kombat' or the Powerpoint presentation about the new
baby.

> > failure.  Her next item a few months later was a UPS.  These items aren't
> > expensive to buy any longer.

Yes they are.  This is why I didn't buy the UPS I have ( customer
upgraded
to a monster that gives her 8 hours of Battery life on her small PC and
Only have a tape backup because I use it in my work.  I keep my
Important
DATA on FAT Partitions on both Hard Drives in the hope they won't fail
at
once, ( Restoring from backup is a pain ).  I avoid using HPFS, NTFS or
Fat32, simply because I use FIPS a lot.  I am a technician who builds
and
configures PCs for a living.  I still don't want to Reload Windows 95
and
all those APPs.  Not to mention the 200+ Megs of DOS Games and utilities
that I downloaded from the internet and Have no diskettes for.

> In a few years I hope we can adopt the same arrogant behaviour than
> Windows and just erase or make unbootable what we don't like.

Even then we won't.  Linux shouldn't "hate" other OSs.  Let the user
choose, or decide to multiboot.

> Today backing up is just a safety measure for FIPS accidents and those

True.

> The thing I think is really needed is a much more integrated and
> elaborate DOS phase.  I will post specs for it in a couple of days.

Good idea if only for FIPS and Detection of Video parameters etc...
FIPS I have herd is improving and will handle Fat32 and NTFS partitions.
Much as I hate to say it.  HPFS Users are usually a little more
skilled and should be last priority to FIPS programers.  ( Not that
this maters to them )

--
: "Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
: backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."