Re: Plan of action for dev-install

> From: john@dhh.gt.org
> Date: 29 Jan 1998 18:42:55 -0600
> Sender: owner-seul-dev-install@seul.org
>
> Jean Francois Martinez writes:
> > Online news is 3$ an hour here in France due to phone costs.  105$ a

In fact 3.5$ an hour.

> > month.  So we have to get offline news.  But INN is an overkill, look
> > at lefnode.
>
> I use cnews as I am familiar with it from having used it for about ten
> years.  It's a bitch to install on Debian, though: the cnews package fights
> with the nntp one.
>
> > But INN is an overkill,...
>
> Yes.
>
> > ...look at lefnode.
>
> Does it support nntp?  If you have cnews or INN on your machine you can

Yes.

> read news locally with any newsreader, including Netscape.

I have tested it briefly.  It automatically tries to gert groups when
someone tries to read them and unsubscribes when nobody is reading
them for a week.  It seems however than if you kill it halfway it
needs a recovery action to be taken in order to show the groups, also
the doc talks about a way to reduce the volume of news transferred the
first time you get a group but in fact I have looked at the source and
it does not seem to be implemented (that could be fixed).  NNTP is the
only transport supported (no UUCP).  Otherwise it seems ideal for us.
Can someone else try it?

Also yesterday there was an announce of an PLOR an OFFline newsreader:
ftp.pluto.linux.it:/pub/developers.  Is there a volunteer for trying
it?

--
			Jean Francois Martinez