Re: SEUL: SEUL duplicating efforts?

Þann 15-Feb-98 skrifar Kevin Forge:
> I was trying to make this point.  Any Fail-safe can fail.  And because
> of there complexity it's near impossible to make an unbreakable GUI
> How are you going to prevent a user from telling his computer that
> his old ( pree PnP ) NEC 14" monitor is actually a 21" Monitor of the
> same vintage ?  There must be a way out that works weather or not the
> GUI thinks it's broken.  This escape must leave him in a position to
> easily configure his system.
  That I agree with 100%

  My point is, however, that a character based menu setup should be a
fallback option.  For those who just don't want GUI setup, and if the GUI
setup is too screwed up for the user.

  It's true that many Unix/Linux guys just don't want GUI, and that's just
why GUI isn't the de-facto standard for Unices.  But at the same time, we
must acknowledge that most users *want* GUI.  To them, a GUI is like a
brand new stereo... sure, their old stereo does the same.  But the brand
new one, is _hot_ stuff... get my point?  And in most lower grad colleges
and high schools, the only thing people learn about programming, is to
put a button on a canvas and code for it to say "print x+y,'hi mom'".  For
these GUI is the computer... without it, it's like a typewriter.

  You and I know it isn't like that... I use GUI, but I like the Unix layout
because it gives me the power over the system.  I use Linux, because it
gives me development power, which you don't have on other systems... and, I can
even get GUI, where I want that.

Orn Einar Hansen                         oe.hansen@oehansen.pp.se
                                          oehansen@daimi.aau.dk
                                        voice+fax; +46 035 217194