Re: [seul-edu] School count

* Jennifer Dozar <jennifer@grawk.net> [010822 06:09]:
> How many schools out there actually use linux? at least a linux server? I
> know Mr Lehman's school in Manhattan does. but which other schools do?

There are at least three schools in Belize using Linux servers, though
one of them is using Novell also.  It is hard to understand why any
school would be using NT unless schools in developed nations have
money to burn  ;-)

We are trying to move toward all-Linux labs.  We're hoping that by the
beginning of school year 2002-03 some of the nagging details like font
management (beginning to become tolerable but through lots of
tweaking) and more application software will make that easier.

A real challenge is how to train computer teachers to become system
administrators ... it's surprising how many schools have no sysadmins
at all, really.  The main reason NT is easier to administrate is
because it comes (mis)installed, and because Windows gives you the
illusion that you can administer a network without understanding what
you're doing.

--
Jan Wilson, SysAdmin     _/*];          corocom@btl.net
Corozal Junior College   |  |:'  corozal.com corozal.bz