Re: Plethora of gradebooks, grade change audit.

Bill,

I think i understand your position, but this kind of security is
difficult because there are no paper copies.  because
administrators own the machine(s) that will be used
to store the grades, nothing keeps a very adept DBA from
changing logs and database entries.

there are a number of ways i am thinking this can be fixed.

One way is to have the system create grade listings at the
end of each term for each teacher.  The teacher then has to supply
a pgp/gpg key to sign the listing.

These listings then have to be saved by the system.  and
if they aren't then it would be easy to show all the
"irregularities" are the turly the admistrators'.

A not nearly so complex system a but probaly as efective is just have
a simple transaction log created for every modification.  This
will probably be enough to show no wrong doing on the part of
the teacher.  This system(which is already planned) offer
quite a bit of security-via-obscurity.  about the only people
that could make mods that wouldn't be detectable would be
the authors.(myself and a few others that hack on the system.)

But again, signed logs seems to be about the only truely
secure way to prove that grades weren't changed.

code for sending out a memo probably would hassles teachers
and administrators more than what it would make up in true
security.

--matt wimer