Re: [seul-edu] Grade input software

Thanks for the input.  I guess Ramin is correct, this is
an impossible solution to solve (currently).

Tell me what kind of sane things I need to find out
about the database.  I will contact the company and see
how possible it is to create a php, javascript solution.
However, what's the likelyhood that they will share the
kind of information to allow direct access to their
database?  They don't use the GNU GPL.

In the meantime I will just write a little cgi based
system that formats the files correctly and places them
in the correct location when done. Only a few people
will be able to use this, but that's okay -- I can
reserve it for those who stuggle with the other system.
If it becomes popular, hopefully, this could force us to
make more computers available to the faculty.  Maybe we
can then slowly solve the problem.

SIGH -- a little dissapointing, our current solution
creates so much chaos.  But it's better than nothing.

Quoting Ramin Miraftabi <ramin@cs.joensuu.fi>:

> * Bill Tihen -- TECHNOLOGY (bill@mail.tasis.ch)
[991212]:%y33Sat, Dec 11,
> 1999 at 08:39:02PM +0100]:
> If applets are bad Oracle 8i will be even worse. And
it costs too much!

> What is the database? Because if it is something sane
(that we could
> find either PHP or Java access to) it woulnd't be hard
to plug in the
> stuff for  extracting all of the necessary info. Java
applets suffer
> the same problem as anything else that runs in a
browser, it can't
> access the local filesystem. (In fact it can, but you
don't want to
> teach your users how to do it - it's too large of an
security risk.)

> Spell-checking is the biggest problem in the whole
thing. I just
> cannot find a way that you could plug-in
spell-checking availability
> without using someone else's software, which either
costs or doesn't
> work at all. And if you think of leaving a networked
environment,
> you'll end up with a problem with disks anyway. It
will therefore not
> help you at all.
>
> I think that your problems are impossible to address
in any easy way,
> I'm sorry. Any solution wouldn't even be too cheap,
since the amount
> of work involved for something like what you are
talking about is way
> too large.
>
> I do think that we should start considering some
software that would
> do this in an OS manner with PHP/Zope in the
background and JavaScript
> and the browser in the front-end (applets are
unfortunately too
> clunky). Bill could probably provide good info on
features that would
> be good to have. Supporting various curriculums and
grading styles
> will not be easy though, but it could just work...
>
> More in another message...
>
> ramin
> --
> Ramin Miraftabi                         Student of
Computer Science
> email: ramin@cs.joensuu.fi              University of
Joensuu
> WWW: http://dawn.joensuu.fi/~ramin/     Joensuu,
Finland

-

> 		 Homepages *finally* updated!

TASIS (The American School In Switzerland)
Lugano-Montagnola, Switzerland
<http://www.tasis.ch/>