Re: [seul-edu] doc standard instead of Software standard?

Quoting Ramin Miraftabi <ramin@cs.joensuu.fi>:

> My university has
> implemented a policy that all messages that go through
the mail server
> and have viruses are automatically deleted,

How do they do this?  I imagine I would have to pay for
this kind of a solution.  How much does it cost?  Does
it run on Linux?

Just the science and math departments .  Many of their
assignments to kids is distributed this way.  These
would not need to be edited, but the equations need to
be there.  These department has the biggest problem of
all with compatibility (I guess that makes sense since
they need equations and pictures).  They are actually
the department that prompted me to look for a solution.

> How often to the folks in your school
> really need formulas etc?

Some of the administrators also complain about the
problem, not as much as the science department.  These
documents would need to be edited, but they are usually
very simple documents.  Here is where the security is
also a much bigger problem.  If someone gets a virus,
they all have read/write access to VERY imporant files.
A virus could be quite harmful.

> How often does this stuff need to be edited
> by others? Think of your realistic needs and weigh
them against
> security issues,

I guess to summarize, the math/science people are having
compatibility problems with the equations and formulas
from various platforms and aged software.  And the
administrators have a security problem that they are not
really aware of.
TASIS (The American School In Switzerland)
Lugano-Montagnola, Switzerland
<http://www.tasis.ch/>