Re: [seul-edu] Typical costs paid by school districtsfor software?

Doug Loss wrote:

> Do you typically buy (or build) computers with no software installed and
> then install from these media?  I'm curious about when these OSs and
> programs would be purchased and used.  If you buy commodity boxes that
> already have some software installed and then reinstall over that, you'd
> have to include the cost of the initial software in the mix, wouldn't
> you?

The vendor I currently work through certifies the system for the particular OS
(either Linux or WinNT), generally by installing it and running a burn-in
procedure, then wipes the drives and ships them. So, I recieve computers with
empty hard drives. I then do an install from my media, and as the boxes are
usually all the same, I use a disk imaging tool (Lab Expert) to duplicate the
disk to all of the others in the batch.

That actually reminds me of another question I had, but I'll start a new thread
for that :-)

Chris Hobbs