Re: [seul-edu] ISO--autopackage for an installer?

On Sat, 7 Dec 2002 3:56 am, Chris Tooley wrote:
> Another source for creating packages would be a package called
> checkinstall. Look it up on Freshmeat, I don't remember the url, but it's a
> handy tool. Basically you take the source, configure it, make it, and then
> instead of using make install you run checkinstall.  That will allow you to
> build RPMs, DEBs, and Slackpacks.

I have used checkinstall, and it is a great tool for keeping track of those
tarballs that one wants to try out and then possibly remove easily.  However,
last I checked, it does not in general produce high quality 'public' grade
rpms.  It does not generate rpms that know their required dependancies. It
does not split a package into its development component and plain
application.  And I'm pretty sure it does not produce src rpms, just
binaries.  Otherwise, it is a great tool.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--
Rasjid Wilcox