Re: Teacher Package

This is what you get with the Chinese Extensions Redhat Cd-Rom. When we talk to people
like Redhat maybe we can make a claim that we can build up many future users by being
widely used in schools. As MacIntosh once was for schools. I thought Gnome
compatablility would be nice because we then could have the windows manager be  a
choice.

As to which Windows Manager is easier...There are some considerations, for student
use. First, if I put a student in front of a KDE, or Win9x, desktop they will want to
try every button. If they are in front of a cleaner desktop the enviroment is more
focused and controlled. My initial reactions from students seeing the Window Maker
and/or Afterstep was that they guessed that the  computer was a much faster, more
powerful computer than Win9x.

For teacher use. Most teachers will want to do their work quickly and without thinking
about the interface.

Administrators, well this group should know....:)

Bradley Burnside wrote:

>     This might be a little outrageous but has anybody thought of creating your own
> Linux distro?  Not from scratch, but similiar to the Linux-Mandrake project.
> Their goal is to create an entire easy to use interface.  They use KDE, and put
> all the office packages and software needed to be efficient on one cd.  Well, we
> could do the similiar.  Put a high quality distro (i.e. RedHat) + GNOME + an easy
> to use windowmanager + All the software we feel a school would need to run a nice
> Linux Network, on cd.  Then schools would have their own customized version of
> Linux...SEUL-linux.
>     Gnome supplies probably half the packages that bob has listed below.  And the
> rest could be found.  I think the entire project would be easy except the
> production of cd's and the writing of installation documentation.  But if you use
> a RedHat distro, you could also pack their directions, plus the seul directions
> for using the extra software provided by us.
>     just thinking outloud...
>                 brad burnside
>
> EAMorical@aol.com wrote:
>
> > In a message dated 1/24/99 5:20:17 PM EST, bill@tasis.ch writes:
> >
> > << In general this should be easy.  Someone collects the programs and makes
> >  sure that they install in an appropriate manner and write a little
> >  docuementation.  Then put it on a server somewhere.  (Maybe also  create a
> >  tar file of it).  Then other people can download it or cut a CD-ROM.  It
> >  would take some work, but I don't see why it couldn't be done.  The hardest
> >  thing is predicting what people will want and need.
> >
> >  >Would it be possible to create a education package similiar to the way GNOME
> >  >looks. I think that would be both attractive and functional. A teacher with
> >  >little computer experience could have all the programs they needed in an
> >  >easier than Win9x set up. The administrator would have an easier time
> >  >because he could set up and control the enviroment. >>
> >
> > Bill,
> > I thought I would give it a try, listing out some packages that people might
> > want.
> > Internet connectivity package (tools required for email and web browsing)
> > Web page design package (tools required for designing a web page)
> > Wordprocessor
> > Office automation package (wordprocessor plus spreadsheet, etc.)
> > Networking package
> > Software development package (compiler, debugger, etc.)
> > Scientific applications package
> > Games package
> >
> > Anyway there's a start.
> >
> > 1999 The Year Of Linux
> > Make It Happen
> >
> > Bob
begin:vcard
n:Dolph;S. Barret
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.angelfire.com/on/WhiteHorse/index.html
org:White Horse English Development Center
version:2.1
email;internet:white129@ms7.hinet.net
title:Headmaster
x-mozilla-cpt:;-1