[seul-edu] ~education project introductions Re: [cwlc] k12linux

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Karl wrote:

> SEUL-- CWLC is a project in Wash DC, where John Knight and
> gang have
> installed, taken over, developed, a free software computer
> laboratory in
> the daycare center that was established by volunteers, in a
> formerly
> abandoned school building, near Malcolm X park.

I want to invite everyone who has been reading this message
thread to take a look ath the SEUL/edu website
<http://www.seul.org/edu/> and if you find what we're doing
interesting (browse through our email archives for the best feel
for what we're doing) join our mailing list and help us!  We'll
certainly publicize the work you all are doing by mentioning it
in our fortnightly Linux in education report.

> On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Chuck Moss wrote:
>
> > I was planning on looking through the collection to see if
> there were any
> > useful educational games etc. in the package.  Still haven't
> really focused
> > on that part.

There are two fairly good lists of educational software for
Linux, and one good list of kid's software for Linux (they
overlap but aren't congruent).  The ed lists are OSFET's Freeduc
<http://www.osfet.org/freeduc> and SEUL/edu's existing software
list <http://www.seul.org:8080/wiki/edu/Software>.  The SEUL/edu
list is created on a wiki, so anyone can add packages, reviews,
or new indices; that aspect hasn't taken off yet, so most of the
work is mine when I can get to it.  The kids list is at
LinuxForKids <http://www.linuxforkids.org>.

> > I think we need an effort to identify the educational games
> out there.
> > the tux typing tutor sounds like a winner.  I was thinking
> about
> > trying to get a friend to program a semi-clone of reader
> rabbit etc.
> > What are the best educational windows based games the we
> equivalents of?

There's a dearth of that kind of software for Linux.  I'll try
to find what I can and let you know about it, but don't expect a
lot.

--
Doug Loss           Advertisements contain the only truths
dloss@suscom.net    to be relied on in a newspaper.