Re: [seul-edu] Re: What we're doing

Dan Kolb wrote:

> Ray Olszewski wrote:
> >
> > At 10:22 PM 6/12/00 +0100, Dan Kolb wrote:
> > >Is there any way of replacing the 'standard' X cross-patch background
> > >with something a little less Moired, or will that require fiddling with
> > >the source code for X?
> >
> > "xsetroot -bg somecolor" is one way to do it, replacing "somecolor" with a
> > legal name (I like darkblue).
>
> Sort of there - if I run it from console with -display :1 it doesn't
> work[0]. If I run an xterm and do it from there, it works until I exit
> xterm.
> I'd like it so as soon as you load up X it will change the background to
> blue. Maybe if I ran it from a script rather than each command
> individually from the console?

Two possibilities come to mind.  You can do the xsetroot from the init 5 call in
/etc/inittab (in RedHat's Linux, at least).  If you give the -bg flag a JPEG
file as an argument, you can get a graphical background rather than just a
color.  It's been a long time since I did this, so I may have the syntax
slightly off, but it's definitely doable.

Another possibility is to install WindowMaker's WINGS libraries and then install
wdm.  It's a fully graphical replacement for xdm.

--
Doug Loss                 Even if you're on the right track,
Data Network Coordinator  you'll get run over if you just