Re: [seul-edu] Fw: LinuxWorld Conference & Expo San Francisco

Gordon wrote:

> I'm new to the SEUL list and still a newbie Linux user. I'm a teacher at a
> small Mohawk H.S. in Canada. We currently run M$ in our lab, but I have
> permission from the computer teacher to run Linux on one of the boxes. Are
> there any programs someone can recommend as 'must have'. Are there any cdrom
> distros of most popular educational programs? FYI, we'll probably be
> installing Mandrake 8.0 with all mod cons.

Funny you should ask, Gordon.  We've been promising/threatening to release a CD
(or at least a downloadable ISO file that you can burn your own CD from) of all
the educational software we have on our list that we legally can for a little
while now.  The problem is that a fair amount of it is available only in tar.gz
form, requiring the user to compile and install it.  We'd like to make everything
we put on such a CD available as RPMs and DEBs, so the apps are more easily
installable by non-technical users (Simple End User Linux, after all).  The
hold-up is in finding packagers, people with the time, skills, and inclination to
help us get everything put into these forms.

So here goes another call for help.  If anyone reading this is willing to help in
this packaging effort, please contact Roger Dingledine <arma@seul.org>.  We
promise to include your name in the credits, elevating you to the minor pantheon
of Linux godhood.  Well, at least your name will be in the credits.

> P.S. seems like a great list, I'm not confident about downloading software yet
> so I haven't tried any of the software yet.

It's really easy; once you try it, you'll be hooked!  Where are you located in
Canada?  We have some active members in BC and Quebec, and I'm sure there are more
around the country that I'm forgetting.  Maybe someone can help you out.

--
Doug Loss                 God is a comedian playing
Data Network Coordinator  to an audience too afraid