Re: [seul-edu] CIPA and Linux (meeting compliancy w/ SQUID)]

> This would work until we are able to fully meet CIPA with
> Linux/Squid/SquidGuard, and it would keep the NT box from getting so
> overloaded it dies.

The FCC regs and the statute do not contain any specifications for the
filtering device.  for this reason why would not Squidguard comply with
CIPA.  I am unaware of any specific compliance issues.  The school is only
required to certify they have a device.  How effective the device may be is
not an issue in terms of certification as that is left to the local
authorities.  that is how I read the law and reg anyway.

The other interesting thing is the filtering requirement is for "visual
depictions" only.  There is no requirement that text be filtered.

Ed Lawson