Re: [seul-edu] School Networking Guide (was: need detailed network advice)

bill@mail.tasis.ch wrote:

> Quoting Manuel Gutierrez Algaba <irmina@ctv.es>:
>
> > I didn't mean to insult anybody. It's just my opinion.
>
> Is it fair to say you expressed yourself strongly?

As if this is uncommon in the OSS/Free software world? ;)

<deletia>
> > The bad thing about free
> > soft movement is that some are trying to imposing acceptable ways
> > of thinking :
>
> I am not sure this is true.

I'm positive this is not true.  The point is, that while you may have a
general framwork that is strongly for as many choices/freedoms/options
as possible, the sociological method of efficiency in groups
(bureaucracy) is often contingent upon
creating a series of rules/standards particular to them.  So while you
have 4 OSS groups, one may be (generally, I am not implying total
consensus, merely majority) one may prefer DocBook, one LaTex, one HTML,
and one in Star Office .sdw format....and all are ok.

> I think a diplomatic approach and willingness to
> put in the effort are what the "Open Content" is about these will impress people
> and get the job done.  I think it was Eric Raymond who says "Stop complaining
> and fix it."

Thank you.

> My offers still stand.
> 1) Cooperatively, we redefine the project.
> 2) You can take over the project.  I haven't had any recruits and my progress
> has be VERY slow.  I am ripe for a takeover.
> 3) Feel free to start a parellel effort.  The "Open Content" allows us reduce
> this but it doesn't have to.

Parallel is fine, as long as its complimentary to, and not creating a
redundancy.