Re: news

Well, the definitive issue for  the  Linux(Seul)  to be or not to be
(among these scientists at least) are the following:

    - an easy to use, easy to maintain OS;
    - it should use machine resources better (more outta the
      hardware);
    - easy to maintain (most scientists dont know a damned thing
      about hacking and dont have the time);

    Apps (all GUI):

       -A  complete  office   suite  with  **potent**  spread-sheet;
        [there's already some of this];

       -A stats analyses tool; there is  the  S  language  and  most
        algorithms   are   'scripted'   BUT   there's  no  good  GUI
        alternative yet;

       -A maths (MathCAD or Mathematica 3.0 like) package;

       - A GIS  package  (with  geostats  and  visual stats analyses
         incorporated) -Such as ENVI or ERDAS IMAGINE.

And step further: all of the above linked and  fit  into  a  similar
environment  where  data  can  easily  be  crossechanged/read.   For
instance:  I may have some data in a spreadsheet which I may like to
read both by the maths/stats and GIS package.  I may like to cut and
paste whatever from the proggies above to the wordprocessor  to  set
up papers, reports.

Having the artillery above (it may take years), we get a majority of
the  sci  community  outta the MS dictatorship.  Everyone refers the
same problem: We ARE  STUCK  in  the  MS  world and want outta there
(budgets  cuts,  dependencies,  low  cost-effectivity,   bugs,   low
quality).  The same reasons appear everywhere and they showed in the
workshop, as well.

Later,

    Aldo