Re: SEUL: TurboLinux

On 16 Aug 1997 jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

>   Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 19:35:08 +1000 (EST)
>   From: Marcus Berglund <mabs@netdig.com.au>
>
>   On 15 Aug 1997 jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:
>
>   >Debian 1.2 or 1.3?  It would be great if someone posted a report about
>   >1.3 with a slant about how user friendly it is, not about how great it
>   >is.
>
>   I use Debian 1.3, and the main advantage of debian over others is that it
>   will detect if there is a conflict in a package, it wont install packages
>   that depend on another package, so you just have to install the package it
>   requires and it all just fits together, but it is hard to select packages
>   first time, and putting 6-7 floppies in the drive, just for the
>
>RedHat has had conflit detection since version 2 and depency checking
>since version 4.0 (end 96).
>
>   installation, does tend to make it a little more difficult, but overall I
>   find it better than RedHat, but thats just me...
>
>But I found the installtion procedure in 1.2 absolutely awful,
>particularly the user interface of dpkg.  And I didn't like than many
>X programs come raw so YOU are supposed to give them acceptable
>configurations.   Administrative tools were also lacking.
>
>Debian 1.2 was certainly a distribution designed with hackers in mind,
>certainly a poor starting point for SEUL.  Has 1.3 improved in this
>aspect?

Basically as I see it, Debian is more console based, while RedHat is more
GUI based, it is really a question of what we want to work with...
Alot of the packages in 1.3.1 are preconfigured to be on a stand alone
system, and yes you do need to be a bit of a hacker to get you way around,
I would have to say that Debian is not the way to follow for SEUL, all I
have done is answer a few questions.

Just a sugestion, when someone wants to load a package, like pine, will
SEUL tell them that they need x, y & z packages (like debian) or will we
tell them that we have included packages x, y & z automatically, or just
tell them nothing and asume they don't actually care what else is needed,
because I know of alot of people that would get a little peeved if they
were told every 10 seconds that packages x & y were being added...

"When all of your wishes are granted,
many of your dreams will be destroyed",
Man That You Fear - Marilyn Manson

mabs@netdig.com.au