Re: SEUL: What's so hard about Linux...

On 24 Aug 97,  Paul Anderson <seul-project@seul.org>  wrote:

> > That's the challenge for the project.
> >
> We're attacking this wrong - we're hackers.

Yes, that's correct. The coders are hackers. But SEUL will, in the
near future, incorporate non-hackers (the SEG or Seul Expert Group
consisting of scientists, students and home users). The great
challenge to the coders will be to code something 'Aunt Eulalia
who's a green parrot and wants to be in the gardering list' can
install, get started with and maintain without having to call a
Hacking-Delta-Force :-). That's a great challenge from the technical
point of view, man.

>a hacker is virtually incapable of understanding the nature of a
>newbie ...

Don't agree. Hackers have been newbies as well. Thing is that hackers
become so technical they sometimes loose anchorage in the day-2-day
reality of the non-hacking-universe. That's why SEG's input will be
critical.

> Now, we are incapable of understanding what a newbie wants ...

Don't worry: In the future, you'll get so much job from the SEG
you'll wish we never existed :-)

Cheers,

	APS
----
Aldo-Pier Solari <solaris@searn.sunet.se>, Fish.Res.Gr./ULP
Home: http://segate.sunet.se/fish-ecology/aps/index.html
Oath:          'I will not fail those with whom I serve'
----