SEUL: Common SEUL/e-linux tools needed

First,  A note to the e-linux team:

	I've been discussing stuff with the SEUL team, and I think we would
	be a good distrubution for them to be derived from since our goals
	are so similar... I do not believe that we should merge, because
	our target audience is distinct from theirs... We are targeting
	the IT user or power user type who wants a straight-forward way
	to install/use/maintain a linux system... This audience doesn't
	need functionality hidden from them, just presented in a more
	useable more uniform manner.  SEUL is intended to the secretary
	or manager who is just giving up their typewriter for a computer.
	They need to take extra pains to hide functionality that would
	confuse their user-base... I feel, however, that our projects
	should share common lineage.

I had mentioned before on the SEUL list that we need some system tools that
are currently not availible to facilitate both SEUL and e-linux.  These
tools should be command-line based, so that an ncurses or GUI interface
can be easily pasted over the top to promote uniformity... it will also allow
such programs to be run in a script.

Here is a short list of some of the tools that I envision us needing...
BTW, when I mention "server side" I'm refering to tools running on
"packaging servers" that would validate packages for distribution for
our package manager:

Installation side:

	partition management tool:
		will create/delete/move all kinds of partitions
		will resize fat16/fat32/NTFS/minix/ext2fs partitions
	configuration tool:
		may be modeled after, but probably not based upon
		figurine (http://www.foxnet.net/~apenwarr/figurine/).
		Will be able to configure all packages'
		compile-time/startup-time/run-time options
		(and automatically re-compile when necessary).
		This will maintain both user preferences (in
		standard dot-files) and system-wide configurations
		and preferences (stored in /etc, /var, etc.)
		Will rely upon plug-in modules included into our
		packaging files.
	Package management tool:
		heavily intigrated with our configuration tool.
		Will check dependencies, maintain database, and
		offer to download missing modules required by
		package being installed/updraded.

Server side:

	Linux Emulator:
		will emulate a virtual linux system, allowing
		a safe environment to test-install packages that
		must install and run as root... It may be nice to have
		a version for each hardware platform...
		This will run as batch, so speed isn't a concern!
	Package verification software:
		verify that packages work correctly according to developer
		provided tests, verifies minimum system requirements,
		ensures that package doesn't modify sensitive system files
		without notifying (root) user. PGP authenticates software.
		maintanes software archive.
		Will rely upon Linux Emulator.

Comments? Suggestions?

Loren