Re: SEUL: Observatons

jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

> If you try making a full blown X config with high resolutions
> and refresh rates chances are that something will not work so
> the user will not be able to install anything.  If you want
> an X config then: ask the user what brand is his card, what
> keyboard he is using and what mouse (or use mouseonfig to
> detect it) then install the specific server and start it at
> 640x480 with no hardware panning (it confuses beginners).

I have never been able to get the RedHat X based install to
work on my machine, either because of a video problem or
because it couldn't find the mouse. This is the one thing
that makes me doubt the wisdom of using an X based install.
X is commonly thought to be too complex for individuals to
use and I have found this to be somewhat accurate. Still,
I think that without a graphical install SEUL will not be
taken seriously.

- Jeff Dutky