Re: SEUL: Survey writing volunteers needed

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Roger Dingledine wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a few volunteers who are familiar with survey
> > techniques (or can learn). I'm very interested in coming up with a
> > large survey that would figure out once and for all what end-users
> > want in an OS. If it was

This is a simple one.  They don't want to notice that it's there.  They
just want to be able to do stuff without ever having to configure
anything.  They do need to be able to enhance the machine and fix things
when they break but they don't mind having someone do that for them each
time.  Wana guess how many people have paid me to install desktop
software
on Windows system ?  ( I mean Corel Draw, Quick Books, Netscape and
MS Office ).

Linux must achieve this level of brainless interaction in order to
maintain
the Moors Law type momentum.  The 2 soon to be interchangeable desktops
is
one aspect.  A decent interface to RPM is another.  as is automounting
a CD or diskette when it is accessed by any user.

The last is an example of things that need to be different for end user
applications and for server applications forever.
--
"Make easy things easy, and hard things possible."
mailto:forgeltd@usa.net  http://independence.dunadan.com/