SEUL: Package format

> > That brings up an idea - would there be a way to have a "compile
> > wizard"?  Just download a .tar.gz file and have it uncompress it, untar
> > it, and attempt to compile it with the makefile using reasonable
> > defaults?  It would work for some things but could be a huge mess with
> > others.

> But RPM should probably not be our primary package-system. We should make
> our own package-system which includes documentation in our preferred
> format (html or whatever it will be) that will automatically be indexed
> and put in a (possibly compressed) Documentation-Database. I don't think
> that RPM's support this (but i'm not sure at this point).

Please no new package-system. We already have .tar.gz and .rpm, and
prviders will not like the idea to provide their programs in 3 formats.
So certainly only SEUL will support this format, and the user will have
to user other formats if he wants to use packages from other sources.
If we use some kind of "installation wizard" we could make him search for
documentation files in .tar.gz or .rpm files, or if the documentation is
provided as man-pages, we would only have to make sure to copy them to
locations where man can find them.

Thomas