Re: SEUL: Multiple Replies

Just my two cents. For those of you that don't know me, I've been around for
awhile working on SDOC (not actively for the past month). In my other life, I
am the technical lead for Northwest Airlines Internet Group, and I will be
joining a major software company doing Java work in the near future.

When a browser has graphics turned off and there is no ALT tag, the browser
ignores it. It is always good practice to have an ALT tag, not only for those
unfortunate enough to still use Lynx, but because the latest browsers use these
tags as "mouseovers", displaying the text over the image (or the loading image)
when the mouse passes over it..

It is always a good idea to check your pages. Netscape catches more
non-standard HTML than IE, but no tool catches everything. The HTML validators
attempt to. The perl program weblint is a decent checker, and there are many
more on the web. As mundane as it may seem, if you want a majority of people to
see your pages, it is necessary to cater to the lowest denomination (until the
browser people standardize). If you feel we have an audience that is web
articulate, they probably have the latest browser. The idea is to find out who
is looking at the page, and make sure they are provided for.

As far as colors go, there is a palette of "web safe" colors. Any combination
of those should probably be used if you want people to see pages the way you
design them. The browser safe palette may still be at
http://www.lynda.com/hex.html. Whatever you choose, don't put light colored
text on a light background (a guideline you have adhered to in your examples).

As far as counters go, I personally think they degrade any site. It was cool 3
years ago; it's not necessary now. If you need to analyze traffic, we should
use the server logs.

I am still looking at XML. Sun has XML classes for use in Java programs now.
XML is picking up steam, but still now quite there yet.

Sorry for being abrupt and absent. I'll be around a little more during my job
change, and I'll help out where I can.

Mark Dunnett