Re: Nuked my keyfiles

On May 23, 2010, at 11:55 AM, Lee Fisher wrote:

There's not much consensus on this among Windows software developers.

MSDN: Windows Installer Best Practices
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb204770(VS.85).aspx#uninstall_clean

Ahh, well there's the official opinion. There's still a lot of ambiguity in the way our particular uninstaller is implemented, though. For example, I've seen a lot of uninstallers that have a checkbox along the lines of "Also remove configuration files?" that is *unchecked* by default, in some conspicuous place. As it stands, these options for the Tor/Vidalia bundle are collapsed under their respective packages, out of sight and out of mind.

And checked by default. Just enough so someone irresponsible (i.e., me) will blaze past it and not realize until afterward what he's done. Just making the option more immediately visible would be an improvement.

In my opinion, of course.

~japlin