Re: gEDA-user: Windows version of gerbv

>> Maybe an XYRS configuration pop-up, including setting the orentation,
>> also some type of pull-down selectors which allow you to specify which
>> column (column number) holds each of the X, Y, R, and S data.  Maybe
>> also a pattern to match for board side (TOP, FRONT, vs. BOTTOM, REAR,
>> BACK).
>>
>> Some simple settable parsing parameters might help with situations
>> like this.
>
> Except that the real problem is knowing *how to set* the
> parameters!  So far, from what I have found, the convention is for a
> part with pin 1 in the lower left quadrant to be at angle 0 and the
> rotation specified to be CCW.  It certainly won't hurt to allow other
> settings, but I wonder if they will just create confusion and ways
> for the user to goof up.  I would not suggest adding that until more
> information is available on what is used.  But if it is added, a
> rotation direction should also be selectable, CW vs CCW.

What I'd do is make the PCB generated file the default config, for
compatibility within gEDA/PCB, but allow the user to change it if need
be.

The real issue with pick-place however, is that you need to agree with
your vendor what their desired file format is.  Us gerbv guys can't
know this info up fromnt since there is no standard.

Actually, if I was the world's dictator, I'd mandate the IPC to come
up with a pick-place machine file format, and I'd make all the
pick-place machine vendors stick to it.  I wonder why the IPC hasn't
tried to standardize this format?

Stuart