"OUT".  When you netlist, you refer to pin numbers.  So for example,
U1-2 and U1-3 and not U1-IN- and U1-IN+.  The pin numbers define all of
your connectivity information.  The pin labels are simply informative.

Now you load PCB.  The rat lines key off of the pin number and uses the
pin number in the netlist.  Pin names are not used at all.

So if pin numbers are broken in your symbol or footprint, thats it, game
over, things are just broken.

Now that the .cmd file does is it goes through and says "U1-2 (i.e. pin
#2 of U1) happens to be called the "IN-" pin on this particular op-amp".
  And it makes all those changes.  Now if you query that pin in pcb, it
will tell you pin #2 and "IN-".  This is useful when you're working with
a big part and you don't know the pinout by heart or via the context and
you want to quickly see the name of the pin you're connecting too.

Thats all the .cmd file does.  If you don't ever load it, nothing bad
happens other than querying U1 pin #2 will just report "this is pin #2.
  It is called '2'" instead of ..... It is called "IN-".

This ought to go in a FAQ, and also into the gschem->pcb tutorial. This explanation is a MUST.

I have read perhaps 100 A4-sized pages of text on gschem and pcb
and the connection between the two, by going through the info pages
for PCB and online tutorials and FAQs. And I remember feeling very
uneasy about the names-versus-numbers issue. But I do not remember
reading any good explanation. Your text above should not be allowed
to be lost.

In addition, the tutorial should add some explanation of the .cmd
file generated by gsch2pcb, and also spend a bit more time explaining
what  refdes_renum does. (And references to the "Screen" menu in
PCB should be removed.. the version of PCB I am seeing (200608xx)
does not have a "Screen" menu at all.)

Can you please put it in the gschem->pcb tutorial? I guess Bill Wilson
is also on this mailing list? If there is something I could do, please tell me.

Tarun