Re: gEDA-user: Design Flow Roadmap starting point

DJ Delorie wrote:
>> From PCB, I would like to seperate the hierarchy from the rest of
>> the refdes. I would like to be able to layout a hierarchical
>> section. I would like to be able to save that section as a seperate
>> collection. I would like to be able to paste a copy of that section
>> into a larger pcb layout and only have to change the top of
>> hierarchy string to correctly interact with the netlist.
>>

> PCB doesn't care what the refdes is, a heirarchical one is just as
> valid as a common one.  I have a RenumberBlock() action that's
> designed to make it easier to have repetetive blocks on a board, but I
> think you want something more automatic, like the way element data is
> grouped as an element.  For example, have a block on the board that is
> a modular entity.  Normally, you can't do anything but move it around
> as a whole.  A special action "opens" this block (and hides everything
> else) so you can edit it.  When you're done, it's closed again - and
> any copies of the block are automatically updated in place.
>
> The usual buffer to/from file mechanism should be sufficient
> (gui-wise) for saving blocks as files.
>
> Have you tried using Xfig's group/ungroup/editgroup mechanism?

An example of what I was thinking is If I have the following
hierarchical refdess

S1/S2/L1 and S1/S2/C1 and S1/S2/U1

The hierarchy is S1/S2   the non hierarchy refdes are L1, C1 and U1

I would like to replicate this block and just have to edit once

the hierarchy to S2/S2

giving the full hierarchy + refdes to be

S2/S2/L1  S2/S2/C1 and S2/S2/U1

is the RenumberBlock funtion capable of this?

Plus I would like to be able to say to that block.... Don't display the
hierarchy in the silkscreen.

Because when you use those virtual 01005 capcitors there isn't a lot of
room for a readable refdes as it is