Re: gEDA-user: improve PNG output quality

Stefan Salewski wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 21.10.2008, 09:33 -0700 schrieb Joerg:
>> Just for the record: The PDF version is not smaller ...
>>

> Vector graphics is smaller than bitmap for same (medium to good)
> quality, in theory and in practice, often an order of magnitude. Of
> course you can do stupid things with vector graphics too, i.e. one may
> squeeze to much data points into a diagram, much more than eye can
> resolve (I did it myself years ago ...)
>
> PDF is not always vector format, it may contain plain bitmaps!

When you convert a schematic it shouldn't. But especially analog parts
contain a lot more symbolism than a bunch of fat FPGA with just straight
lines and text. I often found the difference between vector file sizes
and PNG file sizes to be small, nothing to write home about.

It's easy to check. Center onto an area that is suspect and zoom up to
wazoo, to see if rectangles show up.

Nowadays some CAD SW defaults to bitmaps instead of vector for text.
Probably because of a declining acceptance of vector-graphic import into
text docs. Or maybe because nobody uses plotters anymore. I still
remember the mess when a client's engineer tried to unclog one of those
dinosaurs. At the end of the day his brand new shirt was ruined,
permanantly stained with ink splatters. His wife was not enthused.

> Some time ago I told someone to use PNG instead of JPEG to display
> schematics on web pages -- he converted the JPEG with all its dirt and
> artefacts (lossy conpression junk) to PNG to show me that filesize and
> quality is not better with PNG ;-)

Ouch.

--
Regards, Joerg