Re: gEDA-user: improve PNG output quality

On Oct 21, 2008, at 1:40 PM, Joerg wrote:
> Nowadays some CAD SW defaults to bitmaps instead of vector for text.
> Probably because of a declining acceptance of vector-graphic import
> into
> text docs. Or maybe because nobody uses plotters anymore. I still
> remember the mess when a client's engineer tried to unclog one of
> those
> dinosaurs. At the end of the day his brand new shirt was ruined,
> permanantly stained with ink splatters. His wife was not enthused.

   Bunk!  Lots of people still use vector plotters; I see them all
the time.  Large-format ink jet plotters (still called "plotters"
even though they're not vector devices) have replaced some of them,
but not all.  These large ink jet devices are currently huge
sellers.  There are dozens of them, both pen and ink jet, in my
backwater town alone!  (I know this because a company I do some work
for repairs them)

   But, from your comments regarding unclogging, I'm assuming you're
talking about ink jet plotters, as pen plotters almost exclusively
use felt tip pens which don't clog.  The suggestion that ink jet
plotters have fallen into disuse is even more absurd.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL