Re: gEDA-user: improve PNG output quality

Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Oct 21, 2008, at 1:40 PM, Joerg wrote:
>> Nowadays some CAD SW defaults to bitmaps instead of vector for text.
>> Probably because of a declining acceptance of vector-graphic import
>> into
>> text docs. Or maybe because nobody uses plotters anymore. I still
>> remember the mess when a client's engineer tried to unclog one of
>> those
>> dinosaurs. At the end of the day his brand new shirt was ruined,
>> permanantly stained with ink splatters. His wife was not enthused.
>
>    Bunk!  Lots of people still use vector plotters; I see them all
> the time.  Large-format ink jet plotters (still called "plotters"
> even though they're not vector devices) have replaced some of them,
> but not all.  These large ink jet devices are currently huge
> sellers.  There are dozens of them, both pen and ink jet, in my
> backwater town alone!  (I know this because a company I do some work
> for repairs them)
>
>    But, from your comments regarding unclogging, I'm assuming you're
> talking about ink jet plotters, as pen plotters almost exclusively
> use felt tip pens which don't clog.  The suggestion that ink jet
> plotters have fallen into disuse is even more absurd.

Well, let's put it that way: I have a lot of clients and the last time I
saw any kind of large plotter at a company doing electronics was either
1993 or 1994.

AFAIK out here the only guys still using large vector-based plotters are
the vinyl cutters in the advertising business. If folks like me or
companies need a huge schematic they email it over to places like
Kinko's and somebody picks it up after lunch break.

Do you know if HP still produces plotters?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/