Re: gEDA-user: pcb, howto partition power planes?

On the issue of powering boards I have been playing with some really
neat programmable power supply controllers (surface mount chip) that
support power supply modules. Prices of the modules seem to be
comparable to the prices of the individual components one would need to
build various forms of switching power supplies. The controllers set the
duty cycle, phase and frequency of the switching power supplies. This
makes it possible to insure that two switchers are switching out of
phase with each other. Other parameters which are controlled are delays
from power up and rate of power up.

So one other trick I use is to isolate each power supply from the rest
of the board with a jumper (large diameter holes to support a fat wire).
Then when we first turn on the board, we program the power supplies
check out their voltages, ringing etc and then we connect them via the
jumper to the rest of the board.

Steve Meier