Re: gEDA-user: Milling channels in a PCB?

On 9/22/06, Stuart Brorson <sdb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks to everybody for their info about milling PCBs.  I think my
best chance is to just buy two-sided metal clad PCB from Radio Shack
(or from Boston's equivalent, "You Blew It Electronics"), do my own
etching, and have it milled at a shop.  Taking it to a PCB house may
cost more than I want to spend on this little project.

> I'm curious about the purpose for your milling.  Are you free to say why?

Sure, this is a hobby project, not a commerical one.  I want to make
PCB tie plates for a free-mo model railroad.  The are used at the end
of each module in a modular railroad to keep the rails together.
Here's some more info:

http://www.free-mo.org/issues/1999/fm2v5.html#End_Plate_Information

Now wasn't that prosaic?  I'll bet you thought I had some exotic
microwave circuit in mind. . . .    ;-)

How wide and deep are the grooves and what is the spacing? You may be able to do this on a router table or with a small hand router and a jig.

This could be just the excuse you need to buy some new tools ;-)

(* jcl *)

--
http://www.luciani.org