gEDA-user: Re: CD driver permissions so GEDA can install

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 14:01:10 -0500, Schulmeyer, K wrote:

> /dev/hdc /media/CDROM iso9660
> ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime,uid=500,utf8 0 0
>
> Looks like it is mounted with noexec, but where is this being set,
> because my fstab file doesn't have anything concerning the cdrom as far
> as I can tell.

Welcome to the brave new world of automagic hardware management ;-)
fstab is used at boot time and by the mount command if no options are
given. Automount is usually performed by some daemon who listens to
HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) and udev events. This is part of your
desktop environment. On my system the gnome-volume-manager is supposed to
do the automount. It can be configured using the command
gnome-volume-properties. You mentioned KDE, so the gnome stuff most
probably does not apply to your system.

Anyway, you can unmount the drive manually and then give the mount command
as root with the "o exec" option on the command line. If you don't like
mounting an executable drive as root, you can use the "pmount" command.
You may have to install pmount as a seperate package.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
http://lilalaser.de/blog