Re: [Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] RE: [why schools don't adopt OSS]]

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 12:08:02PM -0800, William Kendrick wrote:
> Oh crap! :)  Hehehe... Umm.. we'll say "the latter" for now.
> (I've been lucky enough to have other folks take care of .deb-ifying my
> games and such :) )

That's perfectly understandable.

> > Once upon a time I heard noises about people being interested in doing a
> > debian-edu group to make sure something like this happens, but nobody took
> > the ball. :/
>
> There's "Debian Jr", too, isn't there?

Sure, that's me.  But I'm not taking Debian Jr. in that direction.  It is
focused on home systems.  It is more relaxed that way, and something I feel
I can easily sustain.  Throwing a formal education oriented slant into our
goals would just stress me out way too much.  I'm afraid I'd end up giving
up the project.

> Ok, cool.  I'm not too familiar with Debian packaging methods.
> I just know what I've seen ("task-ximian", for example :) )

Sure.  And non-Debian suppliers of packages may still do that, but in the
upcoming woody release, you'll find all task packages are gone and
replaced with entries in tasksel's /usr/share/tasksel.desc instead.  The
"Task:" control field is used to indicate a package's membership in one or
more tasks.

Ben