Re: Nikola's map

On 10.12.2006 08:24, Nikola Smolenski wrote:
> On Thursday 07 December 2006 22:17, Jens Granseuer wrote:
> > * Phew. It's tough. I've played three times now, and lost all of them 8-)
> >   I like the challenge, but I suspect we'll have to lower the difficulty
> >   a little for the normal setting. Don't bother until other people have
> >   told you to, though ;-)
>
> Now? I wonder if blue can win at all.

I'm sure they can still win, but it's indeed a lot easier. I liked the
previous version better, though. This one's too much long-range combat
for my taste, but that may be just me.

> > * I guess we need to tweak the story a little so it fits the campaign plot
>
> I believe this map could fit any plot. There is this great peninsula on the
> north, and ships have to go around it, which takes them a lot of time. There
> are two large coastal towns off map, one on the south and one on the east. If
> the channel is completed, and I now made it almost completed, fleet anchored
> in one town could move fast to the other, so, even if an army approaching
> >from the southeast attacks the city without the fleet, the fleet could move
> there during the attack, preventing the capture. However, if there is no
> channel the fleet can't move fast enough and the city could be easily
> captured (or the fleet would have to be split, reducing its effectivity).

The main problem with this plot and the campaign is that the campaign
description (in the wiki, at least) mentions that it takes place in an
almost desert-like region. Not much water, no coast to speak of.

However, we could get away with making this one of the few bigger rivers
running through the province, and the EoK trying to make it usable for
shipping their reinforcements, or something.

> > * If this is the introductory map for factories, I wonder if maybe we
> >   should reduce the list of producable units a little in order not to
> >   overwhelm the player
>
> Removed all air and related units. I'm still not sure what to do with
> hovercrafts - perhaps creating a few helicopters ("reinforcement arrived")
> when a hovercraft approaches the base.

Other options may be:

* move the HQ further inland (maybe switch places with the depot?)
* reduce the size of the eastern body of water a bit
* move the HQ closer to the water and use ships instead of choppers
* disallow building hovercraft (heh)

Jens